Description of the course
The course gives an introduction into the finite element library Gascoigne for the numerical solution of partial differential equations. Contents:
- Definiton of the mathematical problems: equations, boundary conditions, right-hand side, ...
- Description of the domain geometry and the finite element meshes
- Treatment of nonlinear problems
- Systems of equations
- Visualization of solution
- Error estimation and mesh adaptation
Previous knowledge for participants
The course is for students planning their thesis (bachelor, master, diploma) in the area of numerical mathematics, especially in the research group of professor Rannacher and professor Richter.
Basic knowledge in C/C++ and numerical analysis for partial differential equations is necessary!